Adrenal fatigue is a misunderstood medical condition and people are often unaware of its symptoms or causes. It occurs when the adrenal glands are under excess stress. Lethargy, depression, anxiety and allergies are a few common symptoms of adrenal fatigue. Adrenal fatigue treatment is available for this condition. You can search online to find an expert adrenal fatigue doctor in your area.
The majority of people are unaware of the condition of adrenal fatigue or exhaustion. So what is adrenal fatigue? Its name describes it well: it occurs when the adrenal glands in the body are over-worked or under-nourished. This results in fatigue and exhaustion. The adrenals are small glands located above the kidney. They secrete hormones which help the body to handle immediate or long-term stress.
Symptoms of Adrenal Fatigue
More than 50 different types of hormones are secreted by the adrenal glands such as progesterone, cortisol, adrenaline, estrogen and DHEA. Many people have heard of these hormones which give us the energy to deal with our hectic lives. When the adrenal glands are overly stressed they cease to work optimally, which results in symptoms such as:
- chronic fatigue and tiredness
- chronic anxiety
- decreased metabolism
- joint pain
- inability to think clearly
- poor memory and concentration
- allergies and food sensitivities
- low body temperature
- low blood pressure
- decreased immune function
- dark circles under the eyes
- low blood sugar
- craving for sweet or salty foods
- changes in skin colour
These symptoms provide a general idea about the condition although there are other symptoms as well.
Causes of Adrenal Exhaustion
- Our modern lifestyle is the main reason for adrenal exhaustion or burnout. The glands suffer when heavily over-used. While the mind maybe full of ideas and always active, the body can at times fail to keep up. Factors that put stress on the adrenal glands include: constant mental, physical or emotional stress
- physical injury
- unhealthy or poor diet
- high use of caffeine or other similar stimulants
- too little sleep
- traffic or noise pollution
For many people many of these factors are quite common in their daily lifestyle & may have a negative effect on their health. Adrenal burnout can even cause early aging with reported cases of women showing signs of menopause as early as their mid-thirties.
Treatment of Adrenal Fatigue
It is possible to treat this condition and there are three basic categories into which treatment can be divided:
- Integrative and anti-aging medicines
- Nutritional and herbal support
- Re-energizing practices and lifestyle changes
Doctors suggest that the following time frames may be necessary to achieve full recovery:
- 6 to 9 months for minor fatigue
- 12 to 18 months for moderate fatigue
- 24 months for severe fatigue
If you are suffering from any of the symptoms mentioned above it is advisable not to neglect them but to visit Dr Dobi as soon as possible.